Saturday, January 31, 2009

Father Knows Best

Over the next 5 weeks we will be spending significant time outdoors cleaning up the park for customers to arrive. This is no small feat I might add, however cleaning up the Park brings about a great sense of pride towards our little lakeside paradise. We drag out every imaginable piece of equipment to clean all the nooks and crannies, too. Though the dumptruck, tractors, power blowers and rakes are by far the most used in our annual after-winter cleanup.

Years ago, my father literally taught us how to rake in the Park more efficiently. I think there was some serious eye rolling on our parts as we thought, "Seriously? We have to be taught how to rake?" But I can say without hestitation after all these years: He was right. There is a method to the madness of how to use all equipment to clean more efficiently. I personally enjoy the power backpack blower and relish the damage I can do to a wall of leaves in a few hours. And Dave & I have perfected a method - something we like to think we developed - called Power Raking. You'll just have to use your imaginations.

We have had friends help us occassionally over the years to help with this big clean. Both Dave & I have had to kindly educate them on the art of using a rake or blower more efficiently. We get a small chuckle when they get this look on their face that says, "Seriously? I have to be taught how to rake?" Believe it or not, yes you do. Right, Dad?